I've started and abandoned more budgets than I can count. The ones that failed had one thing in common: they described the person I wished I was, not the person I actually was.
A budget that works is boring and honest. Here's how I build one now.
Step 1: Use your take-home number
Use what actually lands in your account after tax and SSF/CIT deductions, not your gross salary. If part of your income is irregular, like freelancing, overtime or business sales, count only the amount you can reliably expect. Treat anything above that as a bonus.
Step 2: List the fixed stuff
Rent, electricity, water, internet, school fees, loan EMIs, the monthly amount you send home to your parents. These come first because they aren't optional.
Step 3: Don't forget the "once a year" costs
This is where most Nepali budgets fall apart. Dashain and Tihar alone can wipe out a month's salary: new clothes, tika money for the kids, travel home, gifts. Then there are weddings, bratabandha, vehicle tax and bluebook renewal, insurance premiums, and the yearly fees you always forget.
Add them up for the year, divide by 12, and set that amount aside every month. When Dashain comes, the money is already there.
Step 4: Give the rest a job
Whatever's left gets split between savings, extra debt payments and spending you enjoy. If the numbers don't fit, something has to change. Better to see that on paper than to find out halfway through the month.
A note on the 50/30/20 rule
You'll see this everywhere: 50% needs, 30% wants, 20% savings. It's a fine starting point, but in Kathmandu, rent alone can take 40% of a young person's salary. If your split is 65/15/20, that's fine. If it's 80/15/5 for now, that's fine too. What matters is that you know your numbers and that they're moving in the right direction.
At the end of each month, ask yourself two questions: what surprised me, and what will I do differently next month? That's the whole review.
General information, not personal financial advice. Rules, rates and fees change, so check with the official source before you act.
No comments:
Post a Comment